And now for a random post to follow up the deep thoughts from last week. After our old range/stove broke last week, my husband and I bought one over the weekend. The sleek black range matches our dishwasher and has a smooth top (yea, no more gross burner catchers!).
The range arrived on Sunday, but it's currently sitting in the middle of our kitchen. I have to walk around it just to sit down at the kitchen table:
When the delivery crew attempted to plug in our new range, they discovered that our old range had been hardwired directly to the plug. Normally, a range comes with a power cord that simply needs an electrical outlet. Just our luck! Not only that, our wire isn't color coated nor crimped. The delivery crew wasn't allowed to fix the problem; they can only plug in the appliance.
So if you are planning on buying a house in the next few years, look behind the range!! I'm determined to tell the world of our misfortune, so as to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. The home inspector never caught this mistake, so now we have to hire an electrician to fix the problem. We're aware that the previous owners hired a handy man to repair several little things around the house, so most likely they were aware of the problem but never told us. My hubby is an electrical engineer, and even he was dumbfounded at the shoddy wiring job. We wonder if this was a providential (although inconvenient) finding.
I still snicker every time I have to maneuver around the range. Besides, the range looks so clean, devoid of food and other messes. Good thing we have to fast for Ash Wednesday tomorrow. And thank God for our Foreman Grill, microwave, and slow cooker. :)
We have gotten socked with more snow which has closed the schools in the area for another day. This is what my backyard looks like right now. If our range doesn't get fixed soon, maybe my husband will have to grill in the snow. That would make a great picture!