Monday, February 8, 2010

Nuns on Oprah!

We interrupt this blog for an important bulletin: the dynamic, holy, and outstanding order known as the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist will appear on Oprah's show tomorrow! Yes, hell has frozen over! Oprah sent journalist Lisa Ling to the order's motherhouse in Ann Arbor, MI to film footage of the sisters' typical daily routines. Four sisters were flown to Chicago to appear on Oprah's show.

An offshoot of the Nashville Dominicans, the Domincan Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist are primarily a teaching order. The effect these women have on Catholic schools is tremendous. Even when 3 or 4 sisters begin teaching at a Catholic school, very often they inspire both students and parents, helping to reinvigorate the faith.

I think if more young women saw orders such as these Dominicans, religious life would better appear as a more viable option. The sisters are normal, down-to-earth women who happen to be married to Christ. I hope and pray that someday my children will be taught by such joyful women! Just watch out, one of these days I'm going to show up at their motherhouse with a large van and take a few back to my parish. heh heh heh! Just kidding.

This group of sisters has a different vocations problem: so many young women are interested in the order, the motherhouse is bursting at the seams! I've met several of the sisters; they are joyful, intelligent women who attract children and adults alike. Three of the Dominican Sisters teach in my parents' city; I had the privilege of meeting them two years ago. Can you guess which one is me? :)


So, set your DVRs for tomorrow! I pray that all those people who think nuns are stern, mean, and ruler-wielding, will have their hearts changed after watching this show.

6 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

These are the sisters at my parish! St. Thomas the Apostle in Phoenix!! I am soooooooo excited to watch Oprah tomorrow!!!! And thank you for the reminder! One of the parishioners had told me about it, and I had forgotten!!!

Your parents are in Phoenix? That is so cool!

Sew said...

I high jacked your hell has frozen over and put it on my fb! :)

Wonderful, I can't wait to watch!

Something is stirring in the world of God, religious life promoting things are hitting main stream! Finally! :)

Percolating Petals said...

Nope, my parents are in Sacramento...but Phoenix is a beautiful city and I hope to visit there again soon!

Percolating Petals said...

Hijack away, dear Sew. :) Yes, I agree that it's long overdue to have REAL religious profiled in the mainstream media!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh, wow, I didn't know they had some of the sisters in Sacramento, too! I heard someone say the four from our parish were the ones being flown in for the show. I will have to see tomorrow! Awesome!!! I haven't watched Oprah in years, but here goes!

WheelbarrowRider said...

You just made my day!