Thursday, September 1, 2011

Help me out of a music rut!

I'm in a music rut and I need your help.  Life is getting busy and a bit difficult these days (hello, 9 month old who now refuses food from a bowl!).  Aside from my hubby and prayer, music helps me persevere and even get motivated.  Or the tunes at least help to distract me.

The "iT.unes Effect" has taken over the music industry, to my great delight.  What a relief to buy one song at a time instead of a whole album.  During my teenage years, I remember feeling held hostage to buying a $17 CD on which was only one song I wanted.  Singles were equally exorbitant.  A couple of years ago while at my parents' house, I discovered a long-lost single from my junior high days.  For those of you younger than 27, this contraption is called a Record!


So now that we don't have to worry about CDs and the like, I tend to randomly find songs and listen to them incessantly on my iPod.  Then I don't listen to songs on the radio as much in order to find new songs.  Sure, every once in a while I find a cool song via commercials (a trend I think will continue) or TV shows.  One of my favorite bad/sad mood songs, "Breathe," I stumbled on while watching VH1.  That song helped me through rough infertility treatments and my C-Section prep.  The music video is very poignant.

If you would like to help me, please list your favorite(s) in the following categories. No gangsta rap or death metal, please. :)

1.  Favorite song to listen to over and over.
2.  Favorite romantic song
3.  Favorite Christian song
4.  Favorite song to listen to in a bad mood or life struggle
5.  Favorite workout/running song
6.  The "I can't believe I like this song but it's on my iPod anyway" category.

Looking at my iPod, my favorites are:

1.  "NilSenLa" by Cel.tic Women
2.  "You Raise Me Up" (first dance at our wedding)
3.  "Alive Again" by Mat.t Ma.her (although there are many other Christian favorites)
4.  "Breathe" by Ry.an Sta.r
5.  "Magdahlena" Ser.gio Mendes
6.  "Breakthrough" by Lemonade Mouth (yeah, Di.sney cha.nnel movie.  I admit it.)

I look forward to reading your suggestions and maybe adding them to my music library!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Isn't iTunes so much better than having to buy a whole CD for just one or two songs?! I have a huge drawer full of CDs I hardly listen to anymore, I've loaded the songs I like from them onto my computer and Ipod.

Here's my favorites.

1. Favorite song to listen to over and over. - This summer it's "Knee Deep" by The Zac Brown Band. It's just a fun sounding song.

2. Favorite romantic song - "The Gift" by Collin Raye. It was our first dance at our wedding and I still love, love, love it.

3. Favorite Christian song - this probaby has to be the Ave Maria

4. Favorite song to listen to in a bad mood or life struggle - there's a few, depending on my mood: "Gabriel's Oboe", "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley (but Justin Timberlake's version is great too), Pachel Bell's Canon.

5. Favorite workout/running song - This may be showing my age, but it's "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor. When I trained for a marathon, many, mnay years ago, it was the song that motivated me.

6. The "I can't believe I like this song but it's on my iPod anyway" category. - "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven. Don't know why, I just like it.

Chasing said...

1. Favorite song to listen to over and over. Window in the Skies (U2)
2. Favorite romantic song Set Me As a Seal (Matt Maher)
3. Favorite Christian song Blessed Be Your Name
4. Favorite song to listen to in a bad mood or life struggle Mama Said
5. Favorite workout/running song Dynamite

Percolating Petals said...

Great suggestions, ladies!! I already have "Eye of the Tiger" and "Dynamite" on my ipod, so great minds think alike! :) I can't wait to add some of your songs to my library!