Friday, September 24, 2010

What's in a Name: Part Deux

As the weeks towards our baby's arrival continue to become shorter, I wanted to write about the name we have chosen for her.  Post-birth, I'm anticipating (a) the loss of brain cells (b) the loss of time (c) the inability to sit at the computer (d) excessive grogginess and grouchiness due to lack of sleep.  Not very ideal conditions for writing, let alone about such a special topic.  One of the many things I have always looked forward to was selecting names for future children, making sure the first and middle names had special significance.  Both my husband and I strongly believe in selecting names in which you can easily tell the gender of the child (those of you who have taught school know what I mean!).  To have waited so long for a child makes this naming effort even more special!

Some of you may remember that during our adoption process from South Korea, we had hoped to name a son Andrew.  We are saving that name if we do adopt from there someday.  For some time, we have had a girl's name picked.  Thanks for indulging my little explanation.  So without further ado, our little girl will be called:

Kather.ine Eliza.beth, with a nickname of Ka.tie B.eth

Kath.erine's patron saint is St. Catherine of Sienna, a dynamic, passionate woman who was madly in love with Christ yet also not afraid to stand up for the truth.  Of course, our many Dominican friends are very pleased with this selection and have already told us our baby is "Dominican."  Don't know how the Poor Clares will feel about that one. :)

Kat.herine is also the name of my husband's grandmother's little sister, who died of tetanus at age 3.  His grandmother's middle name was Cather.ine.  So the name has familial significance as well.  As for spelling the name with a K, well, that was a bit of vanity on my part because that's my first initial too. :) Until Kati.e Be.th gets married, we will have the same initials.  So we can share all of those cute monogrammed items!! Bwa  ha ha ha!


The middle name, Eliza.beth, was rather easy.  That is my middle name and several women in my mom's side of the family share the middle name as well.  It's my sister's first name too.  I have long wanted to pass along my middle name to a future daughter.

It took a while to decide on which St. Eliz.abeth to pick.  We finally settled on my patron, Elizabeth, the mother of St. John the Baptist.   My parents gave me her as my patron after it took them a long time to become pregnant with me (funny how history repeats itself!).  We know St. Elizabeth has prayed for us during our infertility journey, so it only seems right to honor her in this way.

Just a disclaimer: As Catholics, we ASK saints to pray for and guide us, but we do NOT worship them. :)

Kati.e Be.th's nickname just sort of happened.  Some friends asked if it was due to our residing in the South.  Nope; we have both liked some of the 2-name combinations (Mar.y Kat.e, M.ary Be.th, etc.).  So there you have it.  We look forward to someday telling our daughter the significance of her two names.  It feels so surreal that a child will actually receive these names; for so long this has been a faraway dream.  

By the way, heartburn has been my constant companion lately.  I'm using it as a chance to pray for and offer it up for all of you still waiting....

13 comments:

WheelbarrowRider said...

Beautiful name! We are due so close together (Nov. 7th so I am 34 weeks on Sunday) and I can relate to the heart burn :) Praying for a safe delivery and healthy Katie Beth. My littlest sister is Kathryn Elizabeth and she is a joy!

Christina @ Faith for Fertility said...

Beautiful name!
I bet Katie Beth will have a lot of hair with all the heartburn you are having! :)

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

I love the name!!! Both are names that we hope to use. I have a special affinity for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton right now, so maybe I will get to invoke her patronage sometime. Also St. Katherine Drexel rocks too - I know you are going with St. Catherine of Siena, but the more patrons the better and lets not forget Bl. Kateri Tekawitha!! :)

Karey said...

I love it!

And heartburn is my constant companion too, so I feel for ya!

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I love the name you've chosen!

:)

Thanks for the Saint disclaimer ;) With all the controversy around here lately, I wouldn't doubt someone coming by to attack us on how we worship human beings!

Joy Complete said...

I love the name and nickname! How fun that you will share initials. You are getting so close!
- JC (formerly Tucked Beneath His Wing)

Percolating Petals said...

I'm so glad that you all like her name :)

Yes, it's time to buy stock in Tums...

... said...

Lovely name. I go by 2 names, but I am in the South so maybe that accounts for it, but I like it.

Molly Melnick said...

Love the name...and our fifth was born in the south and, yup, two names! Reading you blog makes me pine for number 6!

Praying for Hope said...

Really? Our daughter's name will be Kathleen Elizabeth or Kate for short. Small world.

John said...

Even though your "region of the country" may not have influenced your choice of names, I still reserve the right to talk to Katie Beth in my best, fake, southern drawl. :)

the misfit said...

Hey, that's a good point - coming up with a beautiful name (without the use of a Scrabble bag) is a big part of the magic! So happy for you that you're able to do this!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Beautiful name!!!!